A popular myth about automobiles is that 'buying a vehicle isn't that mind-boggling work as maintaining it is'. Many of us would definitely agree with this statement. But, its actually a myth because car maintenance is not a difficult job at all. The only thing that matters in keeping a car in the right condition is the consistency in maintenance. Keep this in mind and you know that your car will ensure hassle free performance all its life. When we talk about consistency, it means taking care of you car completely. Here are 101 car maintenance just for your dear vehicle.
1. Take care of Engine - The Heart of A Vehicle - Ask your auto mechanic to thoroughly check the engine every time you take your car for servicing.
2. Check Engine Coolant - Proper temperature of car's engine is important, hence you should check you engine coolant for right level. If the engine coolant is low, it results in overheating of auto engine.
3. Check for Smooth Functioning of Timing Belt - If it doesn't then, just replace it to avoid an serious engine damage that can be heavy for your pocket.
4. Calibration of the Engine Oil - Regular checking and calibration of engine oil ensures engine breakdown. Smooth performance of the automobile engine helps to increase the lifeline of your vehicle.
5. Clean the Radiator - Radiator debris should be cleaned with a soft brush. Whereas detergent solution can be carefully used to clean the exterior of radiator.
6. Never Spray Water On Hot Engine - This might lead to uninvited troubles and may damage your car's engine.
7. Hydraulic Reservoir Should Also Be At An Optimum Level - Keep the hydraulic reservoir at optimum level with the fluid type.
8. Air Cleaner Check - A regular check of air cleaner keeps your car in the best spirit.
9. Avoid Idling - You will surely boost up the lifeline of your dear vehicle, if you do this. Avoid keeping your car idle for longer period as during this process, the oil is not distributed to different parts of the engine.
Automobile Lubrication System
10. Lubrication Plays A Vital Role In Performance - Regular lubrication of your car assures you of effortless driving and does not exert pressure on the automotive parts.
11. Change Oil Regularly - Well, you can easily do it on a regular basis. Regular change of oil ensures a better performing vehicle.
12. Change Your Oil Filter - This auto part helps in filtering any kind of impurities that are mixed in oil that might block the passage of oil into the engine. A damaged oil filter will allow dirty residue to enter the car's engine thus causing harm to it.
13. Food for Your Car Should be of Good Quality - It is obvious. You should always buy gas from a reputable and trusted service station. Buy gas at reputable service stations. The gas that is used should be properly filtered.
14. Don't Overfill Your Crankcase - Overfilling of crankcase with oil can damage the automotive engine.
15. Overfilling May Foul Sparkplugs - Spark plugs may also get affected due to overheating and overfilling.
16. Never Try Overfilling With Any Automotive Fluids - Overfilling of any automotive fluid is never recommended.
17. Check Power-Steering Fluid - Keep the power-steering fluid at a desired level.
18. Always Use Recommended Power-Steering Fluid - Always use the one suggested for your car.
19. Wash Your Car Regularly - This helps in keeping you car new through out the year. Bird's dropping, dust, dirt, bugs, etc may accumulate leaving permanent stains on the vehicle.
20. Remove Minor Scratches - If you ignore minor scratches for a longer period, they are going to cost you you more later on. Try to get the scratches removed in the very next car maintenance session.
21. Waxing of Car is Important - Necessary for the shiny look of your car, waxing is suggested to be done at regular intervals. The other important function of car wax is to shield paint from harsh environment.
22. Keep Your Car Interiors Clean - Use a vacuum cleaner to clean the interiors of your car clean. You can easily clean the floor mats, areas under the auto seats, around the hand brakes or pedals, dashboard can be easily cleaned using different brush attachments.
23. Clean The Car Seat Covers - Cleaning sponges and other car care products & tools are perfect materials for cleaning any vehicle's upholstery.
24. Remove the Musty Smell from Your Car - You often feel that your car has a particular odour. It is usually because of your air conditioner. Get rid of this smell by cleaning the air conditioner vents using an odor treatment.
25. Take Care of Your Car's Windshield Wipers - If required just change them.
26. Go for Rubber Clad Blades If In Snowy Regions - you might also change the wipers with rubber clad blades so that snow or ice can be easily wiped off.
27. Keep Car's Upholstery Clean - Dirty car curtains and other upholstery would be destroy the car's interiors. So keep car's upholstery clean.
28. Always Keep The Glass Panes & Mirror Clean - Your car always looks new with clean glass. For better cleaning, you may opt for a lint- and scratch-free microfiber towel for wiping.
29. Car Audio System - Maintain It to Save Expenses - In order to avoid poor sound quality and any other disturbance in your car's audio system, just be gentle while using it. Use a soft piece of cloth to wipe of the dust from the audio system.
30. Leather Seats Needs Proper Care - If your car has worn out seats or dirty leather seats, if obviously mars the look of car interiors. Regular maintenance keeps the car seats in best condition.
31. Keep The Seat Back Clean Too - In order to keep your car in the best look, make sure to keep each auto parts or automotive accessories free from dirt & dust. Use a cleaner to was the seat back.
32. Prevent Tailpipe from Moist Air - Save your car's tailpipe by plugging it with a rag. Moisture or moist air might infiltrate into it.
33. A New Skin for Your Car - Automotive markets are filled with self-adhering urethane films that are used to protect vehicle from abrasions. Try out these films for an all new look
34. Use Soft Sponges for Cleaning - Cleaning sponges and other car care products & tools are perfect materials for cleaning any vehicle's upholstery.
35. Always Keep The Glass Panes & Mirror Clean - Your car always looks new with clean glass. For better cleaning, you may opt for a lint- and scratch-free microfiber towel for wiping.
36. Car Audio System - Maintain it to Save Expenses - In order to avoid poor sound quality and any other disturbance in your car's audio system, just be gentle while using it. Use a soft piece of cloth to wipe of the dust from the audio system.
37. Do Not Use Paint Thinner, Fuel, Kerosene or any other Solvent - Usage of these materials might damage the wiper blades.
38. No High Wattage Stereo Systems - Such system might affect the car lights. Light might get dimmer or might flicker. In such a case, just get your car's battery &alternator checked.
39. Just Maintain The Leather Seat Covers - Just check the seat covers.
Automobile Electrical System
40. Check the Car Batteries - One must use maintenance free batteries. The batteries should not have no-start, dim headlights, blinking instrument lights, low charge, acid leaks or ABS malfunction light.
41. Break to the Battery - You can do this for better performance of the vehicle. You may disconnect the car's battery for some time. You may also drain the battery with the use of a small light bulb and then recharge it with a low-volt charger.
42. Check for Electrical Faults - Just maintain your automotive electrical system to cut down on any kind of electrical faults.
43. Cover Exposed Electrical Components - Make sure that the electrical components of your car's engine are covered with any plastic cover to prevent them from getting damaged by water.
Automobile Transmission System
44. Check The Automatic Transmission - Make sure the transmission system works properly.
45. Use Similar Transmission Fluid As Specified - It is always safer to use the same type of transmission fluid like the one specified in the car's manual. This is so because, different vehicles' engines are sensitive to other fluid type.
Suspension & Steering
46. No Playing with Steering Wheel - This is a common habit amongst car drivers. People hold the steering wheel towards extreme right or left for several seconds. This harms the power steering pump. Try not to hold the steering in such a position for longer than few seconds.
47. Make Sure You Check Your Car's Air Conditioner - Get your air conditioner tested periodically to avoid major expenses on them. Low refrigerant is the major problem.
48. Clean the Condenser - A dirty condenser or contamination because of moisture will also affect the air condenser.
49. Radiator Should Be Checked - Carelessness in taking care of radiator might affect the entire automotive cooling system.
50. No Obstructed Air Flow - You must look for any obstruction in the air flow of radiator. Just clean debris from the fins.
51. Check for Radiator Cap - Do not ignore the rusted radiator cap. Change its if the cap is rusted or the seal is dried out.
52. Also Check the Pressure Level of the Cap - one must ensure that the radiator cap works ate recommended pressure level.
53. First Check the Cooling System - If the engine overheats, then you need to check your automobile cooling system.
54. Summers are Troublesome for Cooling System - Special care is required during summer season. Be alert towards different cooling system parts.
55. Check for External Leaks - Usual areas of leakage are water manifolds, radiator seams, water pumps, freeze plugs and all hose connections.
56. Check for Internal Leaks - Pull the oil dipstick and check for evidence of coolant.
Automotive Lighting System
57. Weekly Check of Car Lights - Its is important to check all the lights and automotive bulbs every week.
58. Clean the Bulb Lenses - Just clean you vehicle's lens so as to remove the road grime from them. Make sure you never use a dry rag for doing it.
59. Listen to the Squeaking Noise - The possible cause can be dirt or dust on the brakes.
60. No Lubrication on the Brake Friction Surfaces - If brake friction surface comes in contact with oil or any lubricants, it might harm the brakes.
61. Use Brake Cleaner - For cleaning automotive brakes, one must use brake cleaner.
62. Brake Pads Making Noise Need to be Changed - Is your brake pads are making noise, then just check them. Probably, your braking system needs new ones.
63. Sensors & Rotors Should Also be Checked - Just check these auto parts for any defects.
64. Quality of Brake Fluid - Always go for good quality brake fluid for your automobile.
65. Appropriate Level of Brake Fluid - Always maintain the level of brake fluid in your car.
66. Color of Brake Fluid Should be Taken Care Of - Ensure that your vehicle's brake fluid has not turned milky. If so, it means there is contamination in brake fluid that might destroy the master cylinder.
67. Drive Easily to Reduce Brake Fade - A common problem with most of the cars. Try avoiding brake fade by driving your car carefully.
68. Clean Brakes Just After Car Wash - This practice is highly recommended as it keeps dirt & dust off the pads.
69. Get Yourself Acquainted With Your Car's Braking System - This helps you to sense the upcoming problem before the actual problem arrives.
70. Brake Discs Also Need Attention - Change them if you are changing your worn out or damaged brake pads.
71. Stop The Car First to Shift to Parking or Reverse - It would be dangerous for the vehicle to shift to parking or reverse if the vehicle is still in motion. Let the car come to a halt before you shift to parking or reverse.
72. Avoid Shifting from Parking Mode - In order to avoid any damage to the transmission, one should never shift right from the parking mode especially when the rpm of engine exceeds the normal.
73. No Dust on Your Brakes - Clean you car brakes regularly to prevent dust from accumulating. If you don't do so, you might invite some repair expenses. Its is easy to clean brakes. Just use some water & a damp sponge.
74. Top Off your Brake Fluid - Check brake fluid monthly. Wipe dirt from the master cylinder lid before you open it.
75. Care for Anti-lock Brakes - An anti-lock brake system is sensitive to moisture.
Wheels & Tires
76. Take the Weight Off the Tires - Just lighten your vehicle at times by putting it on jack stands.
77. A Check for Wheel Alignment - Proper alignment of auto wheels is very important.
78. Look for Embedded Stones In Auto Tires - If you keep an eye on you car's tires and check it for any unwanted object like glass pieces or stones imbedded into them, this would help you save the tires from damage or leakage.
79. Watch the Potholes - You need to be careful in driving on a broken road and will have to definitely try to avoid them. Do not let your car jump into these potholes.
80. Never Hit Tires While Parking - this can be a test to your driving skills. Ensure that you never hit the tires against curb or run over curbs at the time of parking of car.
81. Check Your Tread Depth - You need to keep a check on tread depth. Replace the tires, if it is too low.
82. Keep an Eye on the Automotive Tires - Check your cars tires for the proper air pressure. Excess or lack of air pressure, both of them affect the tires. So, its is very important to keep proper air pressure in the car tires.
83: Get Your Car Tire Rotated - Automobile manufacturers suggest that one should get their car tires rotated after every 9,000 to 15,000 miles. Rotation of tires helps in uniform wearing of car tires.
84. Automotive Gauges Check - Monthly checks should be done to make sure your car's gauges are functioning smoothly.
General Car Maintenances
85. Don't Bang The Car Door - Well, this is common amongst various people across the globe. Whenever you have to shut the door, close it behind you softly.
86. Park Your Car Always in Shade - Ensure that your car is parked in the shade so that UV sunlight, heat as well as harsh climatic conditions do not cause damage to the car's exterior.
87. Don't Panic If You Get Stuck - In case your car gets stuck in snowy regions or muddy area, don't attempt to free the car in a hurry. Never spin your automotive tires at highest speed to come out. This may worsen the situation further and may also damage auto parts like clutch, transmissions and differentials. An easy solution is to carry a traction aid like gravel, cat litter, etc.
89. Careful Driving Pays - Its a tried and tested formula. The more love you shower on your dear ones, the more returns you get. Same implies to your vehicle. If you drive with care everyday, your car will surely stand by you for years without major repair expenses.
90. The Right Start-Up Makes the Difference - You are sure to ruin your vehicle's engine, if you race during start-up of the car. Don't do this to avoid any harm to the vehicle.
91. Always Accelerate Slowly - When you begin your drive, you should always accelerate slowly for some time. This helps the engine and other automotive parts to gain momentum and come into operation.
92. Use Original Auto Parts Always - If you opt for local or non-branded automotive components and parts, you might have pay for the expenses later.
93. Check Your Car's Heater/ Defroster - This is important especially for cars in colder regions. Make sure automotive parts like heater or defroster function properly.
94. No Excessive Load - Carrying heavy load on your car's rooftop will definitely harmful for your vehicle. Try not to exceed the load limit that is specified in the car's manual.
95. Shift to Neutral at Longer Red Lights - This way you will put less strain on your car's engine and its transmission system. If you don't do this, the engine is still working thus exerting pressure on your car.
96. No Frequent Usage of Accelerator - While driving, it is suggested not to use accelerator every now or then.
97. Park Your Car Always in Shade - Ensure that your car is parked in the shade so that UV sunlight, heat as well as harsh climatic conditions do not cause damage to the car's exterior.
98. Do Not Delay In Repair - Fix any small problem right away before it causes a serious damage.
99. While Driving please Maintain Proper Distance with Other Cars on Road - This way, you would definitely save your car from scratches, damage and definitely save yourself from accidents.
100. Follow Maintenance Schedule - Every car maker suggests a proper car maintenance schedule. What you need to do is that just, follow this maintenance schedule honestly.
101. Love & Care for Your Darling Car - Last but not the least, just love your car. Love it to get love (that is hassle free performance) all your life.