Facilities Planned for Physically Challenged Persons in Chennai Metro Stations:
The facilities for Physically Challenged persons within the station will generally be provided based on Guidelines and space standards for Barrier Free Built Environment for Disabled and Elderly Persons".
Also, the design in general will be in accordance with "Guidelines and Space Standards for Barrier Free Built Environment for Disabled and Elderly Persons", Central Public Works Department, Ministry of Urban Affairs & Employment, 1998.
The following facilities are planned to be provided within the station for Physically Challenged Persons:
In Metro Stations:
- Signages within and outside the station to guide the persons.
- Dedicated parking space subject to space availability.
- Non slippery floors and well lit passages.
- Convenient design of station structure for free movement.
- Dedicated tactile tiles to access for the functional areas and platforms.
- Bumpy tiles to alert customers who are blind or have low vision that they are nearing the edge of the platform.
- Accessible toilets.
- Ticket issuing window and Ticket Vending Machine counters with accessible heights.
- Dedicated Automatic Fare Collection (AFC) gates.
- Induction loops at ticket counters for hearing impaired passengers.
- Simple and Uniform Terminal Design avoiding glossy surfaces/glasses.
- Ramp as per standards and with handrail.
- Adequate landing space at the start and end of every ramp.
- Stair cases as per standards with handrails.
- Steps with contrasting coloured nosing or anti skidding tiles at the edge of the steps will be provided for easy access.
- Adequate seating arrangement in platform
Facilities Planned for Physically Challenged Persons in Chennai Metro Rail Lifts:
- Lift in street level at convenient location and lift facility within the station.
- Lift cars with required space and wide doors.
- Audio announcement and Braille facilities within lift. Signs printed in Braille in the lifts to indicate floors as well as visual/ audible announcements.
- Grip rails on 3 walls inside the elevator car.
- Elevator control buttons positioned at convenient heights.